What to look for when hiring a commercial electrical contractor
Five tips for selecting the right commercial electrical contractor
When it comes to hiring a commercial electrical contractor, it is hard not to encounter the good, the bad, and the ugly within the contracting world. Your goal is to find a contractor that has a proven track-record of delivering many projects on time and on budget. Contractor work can be a major source of stress, agony, and loss of hard earned money that some very good people have gone through as a result of choosing the wrong commercial electrical contractor. These are five simple tips will protect you, your property, and your wallet from an unscrupulous contractor.
- Verify and do a check on their contracting license. In the state of Florida, checking the license of a contractor is as simple as logging in to www.myfloridalicense.com and clicking ‘verify a license’. Checking the status of the license will tell you a couple things. First it will tell you that the license is currently active and in good standing. Second it will tell you if there are any complaints against the license (and if there are take that as a sign to think twice about your prospective commercial electrical contractor).
- Check with the advocacy groups. In keeping with using the internet to research your contractors there are many consumer advocacy groups online that can be used to evaluate your contractor. Sites such as www.ripoffreport.com or www.complaintsboard.com are an excellent source to verify whether or not other consumers are reporting negative experiences with your potential commercial electrical contractor.
- Check references. Are there any prior customers of theirs you can speak with, or view the work done on their property? Ask the contractor for some photos of their efforts, as many will keep a portfolio of jobs they have accomplished. Does your commercial electrical contractor have a website? A website should be a good source of material and often will include previous project photos, testimonials, and other useful information to help you make a confident decision.
- Don’t be sold on price alone. We’ve all heard the saying “If it’s too good to be true, it is”. This is a phrase that is often overlooked in the world of contracting. Many consumers want to believe that they have found that needle in a haystack commercial electrical contractor who can do the project for half of what the other 3 guys quoted. Don’t let these “too good to be true” prices be your decision driver on selecting a commercial electrical contractor. Be wary, and ask yourself, “why are they so low?” and “why aren’t they in keeping with the other reputable contractors prices?” Not that finding a good deal isn’t something you should be looking for, we all want to feel good about the price we pay for services; but don’t ignore the red flags if the price you are quoted is far below the commercial electrical contractor’s competitors.
- Don’t pay in full at the start of the project. The number one way I have seen good people get into trouble with their commercial electrical contractors is because they pay in full at the start of the project, and the funds are misappropriated by the commercial electrical contractor. A reputable contractor will work with you to create an equitable payment plan.
Connective Electric is a reputable commercial electrical contractor
At Connective Electric we believe that the customer is the most important part of our business. This is why we strive to offer you the excellence in service you demand while giving you the personal attention you deserve.
Connective Electric has a full staff of experienced professionals well trained in many areas to offer you the best products and services. Our experienced team is prepared to handle any job – anything as simple as a one-hour service call to a comprehensive construction project.
With offices serving Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties, Connective Electric has the resources available to best serve your needs.
Contact us at 954-782-7879 to learn more about our commercial electrical contractor services.